Become a professional chef by completing this level one qualification. You will gain a high standard of cookery skills from processes such as roasting and frying to commodities, whilst also learning other workplace essentials like menu design. This Diploma in Professional Cookery is for nyone who works or wants to work as a chef in the catering and hospitality sector. It is ideal for learners coming straight school or adults who wish to seek a career in this industry.
During your time on this course you will be epected to work during Wednesday and Thursday evenings cooking and serving food for customers dining in our College restaurant.
You will study a range of topics including:
- Unit 601 Introduction to the catering and hospitality Industry
- Unit 202 Food safety in catering
- Unit 603 Health and Saftey awareness for catering and hospitality
- Unit 604 Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Unit 605 Introduction to Kitchen equipement
- Unit 606 Introduction to personal workplace skills
- Unit 607 Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching and steaming
- Unit 608 Prepare and cook food by stewing and braising
Bystudying at one level you are getting the best start to your catering career. We are registered with World Skills, enter intercollege competions and we hae organised trips to food shows. You will gain valuable work experience in the commercial restaurant The Wharncliffe. Students who achieve go onto level 2 Professional Cookery with aprogression to route level 3. They will gain the key skills and behaviours to become an inspirational leader/chef.
A minimum of GCSE grade 3 in English and Maths. Learners will be taken on merit after initial assessment and a cooking trial. Relevant work experience will also be taken into consideration.
You can apply using our online application form and clicking the Apply Now button at the top of this page. For more information support with your enquiry or application please contact Student Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 01709 362111.
- Level 2 Professional Cookery
- Level 2 Food and Beverage
- 16-18 year olds do not need to pay course fees
- Those aged 19 or over may not need to pay fees depending on their circumstances. Find out if you qualify for help with your fees.
“I enjoy being in a working environment in the college restaurant and serving customers”Anonymous Level 2 Food and Beverage Services Former student at Winterhill School
We make every effort to ensure information within our online course directory is accurate and a true representation of the courses we are offering in 2024 -25. However, we do reserve the right to make changes if necessary.