By studying this course, you can enhance your basic skills and become a competent chef in the industry. At Rotherham College we are part of the world skills organisation and you will take place in competitions both internally and externally. You will get the work experience from working in our commercial outlet, The Wharnclcliffe.
During your time on this course you will be expected to work during Wednesday and Thursday evenings cooking and serving food for customers dining in our College restaurant.
You will study a range of topics including:
- Unit 302 The principles of food safety in catering
- Unit 863 Food product development
- Unit 870 Supervisory skills for employment in the catering and hospitality industry
- Unit 871 Exploring Gastronomy
- Unit 872 Advanced skills and techniques in producing vegetable and vegetarian dishes
- Unit 873 Advanced skills and techniques in producing meat dishes
- Unit 874 Advanced skills and techniques in producing poultry and game dishes
- Unit 875 Advanced skills and techniques in producing fish and shellfish dishes
- Unit 876 Produce dough and batter products
- Unit 877 Produce petit fours
- Unit 878 Produce paste products
- Unit 879 Produce hot,cold and frozen desserts
- Unit 880 Produce biscuits cake and sponges
The course will inspire you to develop you as a chef, enabling you to create dishes with your own flair. You will be able to enter World Skills and competitions throughout th UK and beyond
A minimum of GCSE grade 4 in English and Maths plus a Level 1 catering qualificationin Professional Cookery,where you have basic skills and knowledge to progress to the next level. The level 3 Diploma in Professional Cookery will suit you if you have some basic skills and experience as a chef, probably from a role where you work under supervision. You will gain a formal qualification and increase your skills so that you can take on a more senior role.
You can apply using our online application form and clicking the Apply Now button at the top of this page. For more information support with your enquiry or application please contact Student Services by emailing email@example.com or by calling 01709 362111.
16-18 year olds do not need to pay course fees.
If you need further advice or guidance please contact the Enquiries Team on 01709 362111.
“I enjoy being in a working environment in the college restaurant and serving customers”Anonymous Level 2 Food and Beverage Services Former student at Winterhill School
We make every effort to ensure information within our online course directory is accurate and a true representation of the courses we are offering in 2024 -2025. However, we do reserve the right to make changes if necessary.