By choosing this qualification you will perfect your skills and build a portfolio of artwork bridging the gap between study at Level 3 and degree level study.
You’ll gain a valuable introduction to a wide range of creative disciplines, which allows you to experiment before specialising in your chosen area and enables you progress onto a range of prestigious, highly competitive degree courses in art-based specialisms.
Whilst using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Animate, you’ll explore the principles and fundamental theories of art and design so you can specialise in a particular area of interest.
On completion you will gain the following UCAS Tariff points: 80 for a pass, 96 for a Merit and 112 for a Distinction.
This course is free for those aged under 19.
The course is in three parts:
- Part one allows you to explore your creative thinking through introductions to the main areas of art and design including fine art, graphic design/illustration, animation, fashion and textiles and 3D design
- Part two builds on the skills and understanding of the first part, allowing you to specialise and develop your skills in a chosen area e.g. fine art, illustration, animation interior design, architecture, ceramics, textiles, product design, craft…
- Part three allows you to become more independent as you plan and implement your own major project in preparation for study at degree level.
- Explore the principles and fundamental theories of art and design
- Explore the skills required to specialise in a particular area of art and design practice.
- Learn industry standard software including Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Animate.
With access to professional standard studios and equipment, you’ll work within industry-standard facilities and be taught by experienced professionals.
You will have access to professional standard studios and equipment including laser cutting, screen-printing, 3D workshop, printmaking, ceramics and digital.
Your assignment briefs will challenge and encourage you to develop your specialist skills in order to progress to work as a practitioner, to work within the creative industries, or onto further study.
There will be exposure to masterclasses, educational visits and exciting opportunities for you to work on live briefs. Visits include a major European city and galleries throughout the UK*.
- A-Level at grade C or above in Art or two AS Levels at grade C or above to include Art
- GCSE English and Maths at grade C/4 or above or equivalent
- Successful completion of BTEC/UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design
- A portfolio of Artwork is desirable
You can apply using our online application form and clicking the Apply Now button at the top of this page. For more information support with your enquiry or application please contact Student Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 01709 362111.
Once you have completed the course you can progress onto a creative degree at university in your chosen specialism.
There are also a wide range of Higher Education courses available at UCR, including:
- BA (Hons) in Fine and Applied Art
- BA (Hons) in Fashion*
- BA (Hons) in Graphic Communication Design
- BA (Hons) Media and Moving Image
- BA (Hons) Games Design
- 16-18 year olds do not need to pay course fees
- Those aged 19 or over may not need to pay fees depending on their circumstances. Find out if you qualify here.
Students are asked to purchase an art kit and to contribute to the cost of gallery visits.
“During my Apprenticeship, I figured out that I want to work in digital marketing in the future. The digital aspect appealed to me because I could see a tangible impact on the growth of business, by working with tools such as Google Analytics and social media platforms.”Chole Marriot Business Administrator Apprenticeship
We make every effort to ensure information within our online course directory is accurate and a true representation of the courses we are offering in 2023-24. However, we do reserve the right to make changes if necessary.