Fashion can be viewed as a form of storytelling through self-expression, using clothes, footwear and accessories. The fashion industry encourages creative thinking, experimentation, and making statements.
The fashion industry is huge and consists of the brands you see on the high street and internet, to the glamorous and competitive world of designer fashion.
There are many careers within fashion including fashion design, tailoring, costume, textile design, buying and retail, marketing, fashion illustration and fashion photography/film.
In this growing sector, there are opportunities to work with large and small companies and to work freelance. Careers in this subject area vary and value a range of skills from garment-making and working with fabrics, to digital design, managerial and marketing skills.
Our practical, hands-on courses encourage creative thinking and problem solving through the application of fashion-based skills, knowledge and technical understanding.
You will learn the practical and creative skills needed to design and make garments, including pattern-cutting, garment construction, print-making and moulage. Project briefs will set challenging and exciting scenarios that will involve researching, mood-boarding, drawing, designing, sampling and garment development and making.
Workshop sessions will enable you to build skills in areas such as sewing, knitting, printmaking, textiles, digital illustration and design skills. You will explore sustainability and zero waste processes, supporting the move towards a more sustainable fashion industry. Researching into audience trends and mood-boarding will be a key aspect of developing your ideas and taking creative risks. You will identify your interests within the fashion industry and develop your skills and a portfolio of samples and garments to ultimately forge a career in fashion.
Our courses are 100% coursework based.
The Level 2 Diploma in Art, Fashion and Graphics is a practical and experimental course that will provide you with the skills and experience to progress onto your chosen specialism of Art and Design, Fashion or Graphic Design at Level 3.
The Level 3 Diploma in Creative Practice: Art, Design and Communication (Fashion) is a 2 year course designed to build a wide range of skills before encouraging you to specialise in your chosen area of Fashion. The first year will provide an opportunity to build skills and knowledge in a range of areas including fashion, design and garment making, fashion marketing, fashion illustration, textiles and fashion photography/film. You will learn creative and technical skills that will develop your understanding and application of visual language.
The second year will encourage you to specialise in a particular discipline and to further develop your skills and knowledge in this area, building a dynamic and focused portfolio of fashion design.
The Level 3/4 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design will challenge you to push your creative boundaries and develop your creativity. With a focus on problem-solving, idea generation and critical thinking; you’ll be asked to put aside your preconceptions and take risks outside your comfort zone. Drawing will underpin your studies as you gain a valuable introduction to a wide range of creative disciplines, allowing you to experiment before specialising in your chosen area. As the course progresses you will focus on developing specialist skills to apply to your chosen creative-based higher education course.
• You will have access to professional standard studios and equipment including: industrial level sewing machines, pattern-cutting areas, screen-printing, print-making, digital embroidery and laser cutting.
• Explore a wide range of disciplines within fashion including; fashion design, garment making, fashion illustration, textiles, fashion marketing or fashion photography/film.
• Investigate a wide range of fashion-based skills and processes including, drawing, sewing, pattern cutting, screen-printing, printmaking and computer aided design (CAD)
• Explore the principles and fundamental theories of fashion.
• Take part in educational visits to places such as Yorkshire Sculpture Park and galleries at major cities such as Liverpool or Manchester. With an opportunity to go on a residential visit to a major European city on Level 3 courses.
• Throughout the academic year, there will be workshops, educational visits and exciting opportunities for you to work on live briefs with partners such as Wentworth Woodhouse.
• Receive support with your UCAS application including portfolio-building sessions, interview preparation, writing your personal statement.
• You will receive support and guidance from tutors with expert knowledge of the creative industries, who are practitioners, and have a good understanding of business practice.
• Develop a creative and focused portfolio for progression into Higher Education or work in the fashion industry.
You can apply using our online application form and clicking the Apply Now button at the top of this page. For more information support with your enquiry or application please contact Student Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 01709 362111.
- 16-18 year olds do not need to pay course fees
- Those aged 19 or over may not need to pay fees depending on their circumstances. Find out if you qualify.
“College has allowed me to focus on something I am passionate about and helped me gain a better understanding of the art industry.”Eddie Barlow Level 3 Art and Design Former student at Oakwood High School
We make every effort to ensure information within our online course directory is accurate and a true representation of the courses we are offering in 2024-25. However, we do reserve the right to make changes if necessary.