This course will prepare you for a career in a range of industries including games, visual effects, architectural visualization, animation and interactive media. You will learn a range of skills and in-depth knowledge of a range of disciplines relating to games, animation, VFX and interactive media.
You will undertake a variety of units which can be topped up further with a second year to ensure you are fully prepared for employment in a related role or progression onto Higher Education.
This course will help you to understand how digital creative industries work, the different jobs available, as well as the personal, academic and creative skills you will need to be successful.
The UK is home to over 2,000 games companies, employing approximately 50,000 people. With the global software market expected to grow to £143.25 billion by the end of 2021, this is a fantastic time to choose a career in the games industry.
Learners taking this qualification will study two mandatory learning and teaching modules:
1. Exploring and Developing Creative Media Skills 2. Advanced Creative Practice
Throughout this course students will study:
• Software skills using 3D Maya and Unreal Engine, the game engine used to create the most popular games in the world right now • Adobe creative suite to enhance your skills in using Photoshop, Premier Pro and Audition • Cognitive and problem-solving skills: using critical thinking, approaching non-routine problems applying expert and creative solutions, using systems and technology • Interpersonal skills: communicating, working collaboratively, negotiating and influencing, self-presentation
You will develop other skills including managing projects from start to completion with your peers, participating in live projects and entering local and countrywide competitions. You will have the opportunity to work for a local educational games company to build your pitching skills and portfolio. Our courses are taught by industry professionals who will guide you in becoming a games and animation design/developer within cutting-edge facilities that replicate those in industry.
You’ll use state-of-the-art equipment which includes:
- High spec gaming computers
- Latest gaming consoles and VR equipment
- Access to industry standard software such as Unreal Engine 4, Autodesk Maya and Adobe Creative Cloud
- At least five GCSEs at grade 4/5 (to include English and Maths), or a BTEC Level 2 in an appropriate subject at Merit or Distinction
- Other relevant experience and qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- A good reference
You can apply using our online application form and clicking the Apply Now button at the top of this page. For more information support with your enquiry or application please contact Student Services by emailing email@example.com or by calling 01709 362111.
- Foundation degree in games design at University Centre Rotherham or another University
- Other relevant Higher Education courses such as web/app, visual communication, digital media and media
- 16-18 year olds do not need to pay course fees
- Those aged 19 or over may not need to pay fees depending on their circumstances. Find out if you qualify.
You must have access to a computer capable of running the software used on the course to allow you to build your skills and complete assignment work outside of classes. Minimum hardware requirements:
- Desktop PC or Mac.
- Windows 7 64-bit or Mac OS X 10.9. 2 or later.
- Quad-core Intel or AMD processor, 2.5 GHz or faster.
- NVIDIA GeForce 470 GTX or AMD Radeon 6870 HD series card or higher. (Discrete graphics)
- 8 GB RAM
“I'm enjoying meeting new people with similar interests.”Justin Hamlet Level 2 Games Animation, Former student at Oakwood High School
We make every effort to ensure information within our online course directory is accurate and a true representation of the courses we are offering in 2024 – 25. However, we do reserve the right to make changes if necessary.