Graphic Design is the practice of visual communication, using imagery and typography to convey information and concepts to a viewer. Providing opportunities to develop creativity and enhance communication to make a statement. Covering a vast range of skills and talents, Graphic Design is a diverse subject with many career paths. Our students go on to careers in illustration, animation, environmental graphics marketing, branding, web/user interface, packaging and more, to become part of a UK creative industry that is currently worth around £100 billion.
Graphic Design is integral in every aspect of daily life, including websites, adverts, branding, product packaging, magazines, posters… graphic design is all around us. An exciting and dynamic subject, Graphic Design is a subject area that values passion, creativity and practical skills. In this growing sector there are opportunities to work for large and small companies as well as freelance.
Digital skills are essential, and knowledge of software such as Adobe Creative Suite is generally a requirement in most graphic design pathways to deliver creative content from digital animation, illustration and visuals for packaging design, web and user interface.
Graphic design is about leveraging aesthetics to help an audience digest sometimes complex content. Our students are highly entrepreneurial and self-motivated, both qualities that you learn on your journey to becoming a Graphic Designer. Our practical, hands-on courses encourage creative thinking and problem solving through the application of Graphic Design skills, knowledge and technical understanding.
You will learn the creative and problem-solving skills essential to becoming a Graphic Designer. Project briefs will set challenging and exciting scenarios that will involve researching, idea generation, sampling and production of final outcomes. Workshop sessions will enable you to build skills in areas such as Adobe creative suite, in particular photoshop and illustrator as well as branding, packaging, animation, web/user interface and more. Key aspects of learning include how to use the formal elements of line, shape, space, form, tone, texture, pattern, colour and composition to communicate ideas. You will explore visual language and different ways in which you can develop and grow as a Graphic Designer. You will identify your interests within Graphic Design and develop your skills and a portfolio to ultimately forge a career in the creative industries.
Our courses are 100% coursework based.
The Level 2 Diploma in Art, Fashion and Graphics is a practical and experimental course that will provide you with the skills and experience to progress onto your chosen specialism of Art and Design, Fashion or Graphic Design at Level 3.The Level 3 Diploma in Creative Practice: Art, Design and Communication (Graphic Design) is a 2 year course designed to build a wide range of skills before encouraging you to specialise in your chosen area of Graphic Design. The first year will provide an opportunity to experiment with a range of disciplines within art and design including design for 2D and print, user experience design (app and website design), illustration, motion graphics, typography, branding and packaging. Learn creative and technical skills that will develop your understanding and application of visual language. The second year will encourage you to specialise in a particular discipline and to further develop your skills and knowledge in this area, building a dynamic yet focused portfolio of graphic design work.
The Level 3/4 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design will challenge you to push your creative boundaries and develop your creativity. With a focus on problem-solving, idea generation and critical thinking; you’ll be asked to put aside your preconceptions and take risks outside your comfort zone. Drawing will underpin your studies as you gain a valuable introduction to a wide range of creative disciplines, allowing you to experiment before specialising in your chosen area. As the course progresses you will focus on developing specialist skills to apply to your chosen creative-based higher education course.
· You will work with industry-standard facilities and be taught by industry professionals who will guide you on your journey to becoming a Graphic Designer.
· You will have access to professional standard studios and equipment including industry standard iMac Pro desktops and MacBooks: laser cutting, screen-printing, 3D workshop and printmaking.
· Take part in educational visits to places such as to Yorkshire Wildlife park, Yorkshire sculpture park or galleries at major cities such as Liverpool or Manchester. With an opportunity to go on a residential visit to a major European city on Level 3 courses.
· Assignment briefs will challenge and encourage you to develop your specialist skills in order to progress to work as a practitioner, within the creative industries, or onto further study.
· Throughout the academic year, there will be workshops, educational visits and exciting opportunities for you to work on live briefs with partners such as Wentworth Woodhouse and Rotherham Train Station.
· Receive support with your UCAS application including portfolio-building sessions, interview preparation, writing your personal statement.
You will receive support and guidance from tutors with expert knowledge of the creative industries, who are practitioners, and have a good understanding of business practice
You can apply using our online application form and clicking the Apply Now button at the top of this page. For more information support with your enquiry or application please contact Student Services by emailing email@example.com or by calling 01709 362111.
- 16-18 year olds do not need to pay course fees
- Those aged 19 or over may not need to pay fees depending on their circumstances. Find out if you qualify.
“During my Apprenticeship, I figured out that I want to work in digital marketing in the future. The digital aspect appealed to me because I could see a tangible impact on the growth of business, by working with tools such as Google Analytics and social media platforms.”Chole Marriot Business Administrator Apprenticeship
We make every effort to ensure information within our online course directory is accurate and a true representation of the courses we are offering in 2024-25. However, we do reserve the right to make changes if necessary.